[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

Stephen Kraus ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 00:27:00 UTC 2013


X86 or x86-64 is PC. Therefore Surface Pro is a PC. Android Tablet or iPad?
Not PC.

PC must be IBM compatible.
On Nov 6, 2013 7:11 PM, "Chad Smith" <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no monthly fee for OnLive.
>
> There is an *option* to pay something like $10 a month to get hundreds of
> games, some older AAA titles, and a LOT of indie games.
>
> But the AAA titles that I bought years ago are still playable - by me -
> today, for no additional cost.
>
> ===
>
> We are getting bogged down on OnLive, though.  It was merely a proof of
> concept.  The idea of Tablet-as-Thin-Client is basically what I was
> pointing out.
>
> You don't have to have broadband, either.  The Nvidia Shield, for example,
> can stream from a local Windows PC.  I have apps on my tablet and my iPod
> Touch that can let me stream from my MacBook - over local WiFi (or over the
> internet if I turn that on).  There are free VNC clients for both iOS and
> Android.  I understand that means you have to have a "PC" to stream from,
> but I'm just saying you don't need the cloud.  You need *either* the cloud,
> or a local PC - but not both.
>
> Yes, Desktops and Servers will *always* be more powerful than tablets.
>  But that gap is closing, just like it did between the Desktop and the
> Laptop.
>
> And it doesn't have to close for Tablets to be viable for main-use
> systems.  For the vast majority of people, the tablet is almost there, if
> it is not already.
>
> And with genre-bending products like the Surface Pro, and other Hybrid
> laptop/tablets... it's getting harder to say what is a PC and what isn't.
>
>
>
> *- Chad W. Smith*
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I did try Onlive, I did like it. Its a neat service, and I could see how
>> it appeals to people. But its basically charging you monthly for a game you
>> can just purchase and play whenever you want on an actual device be it
>> console or PC or etc, but yes you cannot play them on your iPad or Android
>> Tablet.
>>
>> But its just milking people for money for a small service, sure, maybe a
>> service you find appealing, but you are probably going to pay a lot more
>> for that game than you would have if you just bought the game.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM, <basic2point0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  OnLive was actually pretty cool when it first started up. I had an
>>> account back then.
>>>
>>> You paid a monthly subscription fee and had access to any and all games
>>> that were available on their service. You could play any game, anytime, for
>>> as long as you liked, but you never actually owned the game. Sort of a
>>> Netflix-type thing. Then they dropped the subscription fee and you paid
>>> per-game instead. However, everything happens server-side and it streams
>>> the video to you. The upside is that you get high-end graphics even with a
>>> low-end video card, as long as your internet connection can handle it. The
>>> downside is, you never actually own any physical files.
>>>
>>> *From:* Stephen Kraus
>>> *Sent:* Wednesday, November 6, 2013 6:22 PM
>>>
>>> *To:* Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group
>>>
>>> Chad,
>>>
>>> The only problem with your argument with 'Hooray for the cloud' is the
>>> fact that lets say Onlive shuts-down? What happens to all your purchases?
>>> You lose them.
>>>
>>> Whereas at least with Steam, my games are retained locally on my hard
>>> drive, I can play them offline without issue (and its a HUGE issue for
>>> someone that deploys overseas like me). I'm sorry, the whole cloud argument
>>> when it comes to games and game ownership pisses me off, because its just a
>>> repeat of EA and their shitty online DRM system, which basically holds your
>>> game hostage to an internet connect.
>>>
>>> The whole reason the PC Gaming community was so PISSED at EA, pissed
>>> enough to give them the Golden Poo award twice, was the fact that Origin
>>> basically screwed you if you didn't have a dedicated nearby broadband
>>> connection.
>>>
>>> Praise the cloud all you want, but all you are saying is: "I'm okay with
>>> not actually owning the things I purchase, and have the right to lose my
>>> access to them whenever the company loses the financial interest in
>>> offering the service to me."
>>>
>>> CUDA is GPU based processing, I use it both at home and in school for
>>> Physics calculations, CAD simulations, and otherwise. Trust me, the CAD
>>> software you get on Android or iOS are a joke compared to actual full CAD
>>> systems that allow me to conduct simulation of thermal, mechanical, and
>>> electrical stressors and others calculations that your tablet is just not
>>> going to be able to handle very well.
>>>
>>> The other thing is: You are basically screwing the more indie
>>> developers, Steam encourages much more wider development than Apple allows
>>> or even Android on occasion.
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Here's the point, though, on my tablet, I can play AAA console quality
>>>> video game titles, like the Arkham series, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell,
>>>> Metro, Homefront, LA Noire, Darksiders, etc. --  Not mobile versions, but
>>>> the PC version - through OnLive.  Steam, Sony, EA, whoever - could offer
>>>> something like that if they wanted to.
>>>>
>>>> CAD software exists for iOS and Android.
>>>>
>>>> I have no idea what CUDA is - and I'm at least semi-Geeky - so I doubt
>>>> the majority of PC users care about it.
>>>>
>>>> I can use Microsoft Office on my tablet - not just office-like apps -
>>>> but full-fledged Microsoft Office, through CloudOn, and OnLive.
>>>>
>>>> These games, these apps, etc. - they exist on a server somewhere, not
>>>> on a PC, and I can use them through my tablet.  Not in theory - but I can
>>>> do that right now, today.
>>>>
>>>> Once stuff like that catches on...  There won't be anything to keep the
>>>> PC alive for the mainstream consumer.
>>>>
>>>> I can plug in my tablet to my HDTV, and use a Bluetooth keyboard and
>>>> mouse, or game controller remote, and have a "traditional" user experience.
>>>>
>>>> *- Chad W. Smith*
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Michael Scholten <dmscholten at gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Would if I could, but I can't so I shant... :p
>>>>>
>>>>> Ya, anywho... I think I shall go back to lerking in my corner....
>>>>>
>>>>> -Michael
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Tim Youngblood <
>>>>> timyoungblood at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Actually you could say it is just steam, and not truly Steam. :)
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com
>>>>>> > wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Its not steam. Just a chat client and store front.
>>>>>>>  On Nov 6, 2013 12:26 PM, "Chad Smith" <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> http://store.steampowered.com/mobile
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> https://play.google.com/store/search?q=CAD&c=apps
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> *- Chad W. Smith*
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Stephen Kraus <
>>>>>>>> ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Whe I can install standard Windows apps like Steam, CAD, or my
>>>>>>>>> Mathematics apps that utilize CUDA on a tablet, the PC will disappear.
>>>>>>>>> On Nov 6, 2013 12:11 PM, "Chad Smith" <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I have family members that got tablets in the last year or so and
>>>>>>>>>> almost never touch their laptops anymore.  Between their tablet and their
>>>>>>>>>> smartphone, they have no need for the PC.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> For people who are only into casual use of their computers -
>>>>>>>>>> media consumption, casual games, social networking, etc. - the PC is
>>>>>>>>>> already dead.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> The reason tablets and smartphones are able to be so useful is
>>>>>>>>>> because of the cloud.  For a lot of the apps - the bulk of the work is done
>>>>>>>>>> somewhere else - the media is stored online and streamed to the device
>>>>>>>>>> (Pandora, YouTube, Netflix) for example.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> I think the next big thing for mobile devices will be more a VNC
>>>>>>>>>> type model - something like OnLive ( onlive.com ) or CloudOn (
>>>>>>>>>> cloudon.com )...  Yes, OnLive failed at first, and may not ever
>>>>>>>>>> really recover - but that wasn't because the model was bad, it was because
>>>>>>>>>> of mismanagement.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> But the idea of having your mobile device basically serve as a
>>>>>>>>>> thin client to a much more powerful computer - I think that's going to be
>>>>>>>>>> one of the things that makes the traditional PC obsolete.  If I can carry a
>>>>>>>>>> $50 device in my pocket, and pay... idk... $50 a year? ... to have access
>>>>>>>>>> to a portion of a supercomputer... and the interface works with my
>>>>>>>>>> hardware....  Why wouldn't I do that?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Yes, there are security issues - but for the vast majority of
>>>>>>>>>> users... If the broadband is there, why not use it?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> *- Chad W. Smith*
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Dave Brockman <
>>>>>>>>>> dave at brockmans.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>>>>>>>>>>> Hash: SHA1
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> On 11/6/2013 10:52 AM, Tim Youngblood wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> > Is the PC dead? It is on life support.
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/11/5/mobile-is-eating-the-world-autumn-2013-edition
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Anyone
>>>>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>>>> know anyone buying phones or tablets to replace computers?  In
>>>>>>>>>>> my experience, all we are seeing are these things: New shiny
>>>>>>>>>>> gadgets
>>>>>>>>>>> are selling.  Powerful enough PCs of a 4-5 year old vintage
>>>>>>>>>>> aren't
>>>>>>>>>>> being replaced as quickly as in prior years, no new OS to drive
>>>>>>>>>>> bigger
>>>>>>>>>>> and better hardware specs.  Anyone have differing experience?
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> dtb
>>>>>>>>>>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>>>>>> Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)
>>>>>>>>>>> Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSemv2AAoJEMP+wtEOVbcdSqkH/joCv0aiwmnojtXhl1EkNLxb
>>>>>>>>>>> fCbgD6v9BdOCCOO9iSQ5O3PE44rjVMU+WqU991JaHlHQtJ9ejRIfCUmiYVxNC+Zv
>>>>>>>>>>> kZEmuE5ByufzNPMmI0sU2n7qtZIN4a6m2aUjreTSv0iHz/iV7ofMRpfKLSK94EfR
>>>>>>>>>>> 4bCeHcTks+yeNRhoFk0qp5iaILRyqxtkNWf3+JPJ8/NWRUgO7FyQiYp2Q6eoVm7L
>>>>>>>>>>> 7DKkCi8rCUh8mvBI9Rj9PSC/ZZ1h4WOQYSMZ3N9G6A8ooo5W3XSsHKLdxpLmGiFs
>>>>>>>>>>> RVQDlvmUKT//NwjQPJKTUvXkweoEYLay62/Xas8XA9yGpaGOa9dmorOfIbMTpjc=
>>>>>>>>>>> =1aEL
>>>>>>>>>>> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>>>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> -Michael
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Chugalug mailing list
>>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Chugalug mailing list
>> Chugalug at chugalug.org
>> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Chugalug mailing list
> Chugalug at chugalug.org
> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://chugalug.org/pipermail/chugalug/attachments/20131106/8d9934a8/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Chugalug mailing list