[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 00:02:49 UTC 2013

There is no monthly fee for OnLive.

There is an *option* to pay something like $10 a month to get hundreds of
games, some older AAA titles, and a LOT of indie games.

But the AAA titles that I bought years ago are still playable - by me -
today, for no additional cost.

===

We are getting bogged down on OnLive, though.  It was merely a proof of
concept.  The idea of Tablet-as-Thin-Client is basically what I was
pointing out.

You don't have to have broadband, either.  The Nvidia Shield, for example,
can stream from a local Windows PC.  I have apps on my tablet and my iPod
Touch that can let me stream from my MacBook - over local WiFi (or over the
internet if I turn that on).  There are free VNC clients for both iOS and
Android.  I understand that means you have to have a "PC" to stream from,
but I'm just saying you don't need the cloud.  You need *either* the cloud,
or a local PC - but not both.

Yes, Desktops and Servers will *always* be more powerful than tablets.  But
that gap is closing, just like it did between the Desktop and the Laptop.

And it doesn't have to close for Tablets to be viable for main-use systems.
 For the vast majority of people, the tablet is almost there, if it is not
already.

And with genre-bending products like the Surface Pro, and other Hybrid
laptop/tablets... it's getting harder to say what is a PC and what isn't.

*- Chad W. Smith*