[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

Phil Sieg phil.sieg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 23:42:27 UTC 2013

Ok I need to jump in to the latter part of this discussion regarding moving from a laptop to a “tablet”, and vast number of consumers doing this...

I am trying to make this move personally. I have a maxed out iPad mini with a fantastic bluetooth KB case from Zagg. Everything is just lovely as long as I have access to fast internet.

As a frequent traveler I often do NOT have access to quality internet.

Here are just a few of the problems that occur:

1. I made a new hotel reservation that needs to be printed out. I am in a hotel and their printers are not “air-print”. If I could just get my email to turn into a .pdf and be on a thumb drive I could then hand it to the hotel clerk and say “print”. Try this process with an iPad sometime and count the steps and need for an internet connection. Sometimes these are hard to come by in China/Philippines/Banana Republic etc…. And without a printed plane ticket or reservation you may find it impossible to do things like take a ferry from mainland China to the Airport in Hong Kong.

2. A real “File System” where my hundreds of business docs, spreads etc can be logically organized, and then easily accessed through local storage.

3. a way to get anything onto my iPad with iTunes or the internet. I bought a wifi thumb drive from sandisk that is way cool and cheap that helps, but is still problematic without an accessible hierarchical filesystem that allows “drag and drop”

These are but a fraction of the reasons I am finding it impossible to abandon my laptop.

Since every flight I get to China is full both ways and I go 4 times a year, I do not think that business travelers such as myself are a minority.

My iPad is great for reading and creating emails, and for ebooks and streaming video. If you need much more than that it becomes a LOT harder to use than any laptop with any OS.

FWIW YMMV

Phil Sieg
President
SeniorTech LLC / snapfon®
www.snapfon.com
phil.sieg at seniortechllc.com

Phone: 423.535.9968
Fax: 423.265.9820
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we have ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds"

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011