[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

basic2point0 at gmail.com basic2point0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 23:26:51 UTC 2013


OnLive was actually pretty cool when it first started up. I had an account back then. 


You paid a monthly subscription fee and had access to any and all games that were available on their service. You could play any game, anytime, for as long as you liked, but you never actually owned the game. Sort of a Netflix-type thing. Then they dropped the subscription fee and you paid per-game instead. However, everything happens server-side and it streams the video to you. The upside is that you get high-end graphics even with a low-end video card, as long as your internet connection can handle it. The downside is, you never actually own any physical files.



From: Stephen Kraus
Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎November‎ ‎6‎, ‎2013 ‎6‎:‎22‎ ‎PM
To: Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group


Chad,

The only problem with your argument with 'Hooray for the cloud' is the fact that lets say Onlive shuts-down? What happens to all your purchases? You lose them.

Whereas at least with Steam, my games are retained locally on my hard drive, I can play them offline without issue (and its a HUGE issue for someone that deploys overseas like me). I'm sorry, the whole cloud argument when it comes to games and game ownership pisses me off, because its just a repeat of EA and their shitty online DRM system, which basically holds your game hostage to an internet connect.

The whole reason the PC Gaming community was so PISSED at EA, pissed enough to give them the Golden Poo award twice, was the fact that Origin basically screwed you if you didn't have a dedicated nearby broadband connection.

Praise the cloud all you want, but all you are saying is: "I'm okay with not actually owning the things I purchase, and have the right to lose my access to them whenever the company loses the financial interest in offering the service to me."

CUDA is GPU based processing, I use it both at home and in school for Physics calculations, CAD simulations, and otherwise. Trust me, the CAD software you get on Android or iOS are a joke compared to actual full CAD systems that allow me to conduct simulation of thermal, mechanical, and electrical stressors and others calculations that your tablet is just not going to be able to handle very well. 

The other thing is: You are basically screwing the more indie developers, Steam encourages much more wider development than Apple allows or even Android on occasion.




On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:


Here's the point, though, on my tablet, I can play AAA console quality video game titles, like the Arkham series, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Metro, Homefront, LA Noire, Darksiders, etc. --  Not mobile versions, but the PC version - through OnLive.  Steam, Sony, EA, whoever - could offer something like that if they wanted to.

CAD software exists for iOS and Android.

I have no idea what CUDA is - and I'm at least semi-Geeky - so I doubt the majority of PC users care about it.

I can use Microsoft Office on my tablet - not just office-like apps - but full-fledged Microsoft Office, through CloudOn, and OnLive.

These games, these apps, etc. - they exist on a server somewhere, not on a PC, and I can use them through my tablet.  Not in theory - but I can do that right now, today.

Once stuff like that catches on...  There won't be anything to keep the PC alive for the mainstream consumer.

I can plug in my tablet to my HDTV, and use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, or game controller remote, and have a "traditional" user experience.



- Chad W. Smith
 





On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Michael Scholten <dmscholten at gmail.com> wrote:


Would if I could, but I can't so I shant... :p



Ya, anywho... I think I shall go back to lerking in my corner....




-Michael






On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Tim Youngblood <timyoungblood at gmail.com> wrote:


Actually you could say it is just steam, and not truly Steam. :)






On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com> wrote:


Its not steam. Just a chat client and store front.



On Nov 6, 2013 12:26 PM, "Chad Smith" <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:



http://store.steampowered.com/mobile




https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.valvesoftware.android.steam.community




https://play.google.com/store/search?q=CAD&c=apps




- Chad W. Smith
 



On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com> wrote:


Whe I can install standard Windows apps like Steam, CAD, or my Mathematics apps that utilize CUDA on a tablet, the PC will disappear.



On Nov 6, 2013 12:11 PM, "Chad Smith" <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:


I have family members that got tablets in the last year or so and almost never touch their laptops anymore.  Between their tablet and their smartphone, they have no need for the PC.




For people who are only into casual use of their computers - media consumption, casual games, social networking, etc. - the PC is already dead.



The reason tablets and smartphones are able to be so useful is because of the cloud.  For a lot of the apps - the bulk of the work is done somewhere else - the media is stored online and streamed to the device (Pandora, YouTube, Netflix) for example.

I think the next big thing for mobile devices will be more a VNC type model - something like OnLive ( onlive.com ) or CloudOn ( cloudon.com )...  Yes, OnLive failed at first, and may not ever really recover - but that wasn't because the model was bad, it was because of mismanagement.

But the idea of having your mobile device basically serve as a thin client to a much more powerful computer - I think that's going to be one of the things that makes the traditional PC obsolete.  If I can carry a $50 device in my pocket, and pay... idk... $50 a year? ... to have access to a portion of a supercomputer... and the interface works with my hardware....  Why wouldn't I do that?





Yes, there are security issues - but for the vast majority of users... If the broadband is there, why not use it?



- Chad W. Smith
 



On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Dave Brockman <dave at brockmans.com> wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


On 11/6/2013 10:52 AM, Tim Youngblood wrote:
> Is the PC dead? It is on life support.
>
> http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2013/11/5/mobile-is-eating-the-world-autumn-2013-edition


Anyone
>
know anyone buying phones or tablets to replace computers?  In
my experience, all we are seeing are these things: New shiny gadgets
are selling.  Powerful enough PCs of a 4-5 year old vintage aren't
being replaced as quickly as in prior years, no new OS to drive bigger
and better hardware specs.  Anyone have differing experience?

Regards,

dtb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSemv2AAoJEMP+wtEOVbcdSqkH/joCv0aiwmnojtXhl1EkNLxb
fCbgD6v9BdOCCOO9iSQ5O3PE44rjVMU+WqU991JaHlHQtJ9ejRIfCUmiYVxNC+Zv
kZEmuE5ByufzNPMmI0sU2n7qtZIN4a6m2aUjreTSv0iHz/iV7ofMRpfKLSK94EfR
4bCeHcTks+yeNRhoFk0qp5iaILRyqxtkNWf3+JPJ8/NWRUgO7FyQiYp2Q6eoVm7L
7DKkCi8rCUh8mvBI9Rj9PSC/ZZ1h4WOQYSMZ3N9G6A8ooo5W3XSsHKLdxpLmGiFs
RVQDlvmUKT//NwjQPJKTUvXkweoEYLay62/Xas8XA9yGpaGOa9dmorOfIbMTpjc=
=1aEL
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug


_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug


_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug






-- 
-Michael 
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
Chugalug at chugalug.org
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://chugalug.org/pipermail/chugalug/attachments/20131106/7b5f42fd/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Chugalug mailing list