[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 20:54:13 UTC 2013

Quoting Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com>:

> Depends on your definition of a PC.  Is a PC a desktop?
>
> I highly doubt the average person will be using a desktop computer in 10
> years, or even 5.  At least not outside of the office.  I'd be interested
> to see how many are using a desktop at home today.
>
> But if you define it as an X86 machine, or a X64 machine, regardless of
> form factor, then it will probably be a lot longer.
>
> I mean, let me put it this way - is a Microsoft Surface Pro a "PC"?  What
> about the XP phone from a few years back?  If a smartphone runs on an Intel
> Atom chip - is it a smartphone or a PC?
>
> *- Chad W. Smith*

Good point, Chad. I know that I currently have a Windows XP machine
here at work. With the soon-to-be death of Windows XP, the company is
looking at two options: 1) new Windows 7 PCs for some and 2)thin
clients for others. I have no idea which of those I'll be getting, but
you can bet a lot of people in the company will be getting thin
clients. Is a thin client a "PC"???