[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi on track to sell more units than Apple II computers

Benjamin Stewart stewartbenjamin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 18:37:05 UTC 2013

That definition is a little narrow--by that definition many of the PCs (and
Macs and, ahem, Apple ][s) of yore are not PCs.

How about a novel definition?

"A PC is a general-purpose client computing device, usually having a mouse
and keyboard attached, which is geared more toward creating content than
consuming it."

This is not to say that a PC isn't great for consuming content, but a
mobile device is generally terrible at it.

We have a Surface Pro being passed around at work. To my knowledge, no one
has yet used it to "work."

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Chad Smith <chad78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Depends on your definition of a PC.  Is a PC a desktop?
>
> I highly doubt the average person will be using a desktop computer in 10
> years, or even 5.  At least not outside of the office.  I'd be interested
> to see how many are using a desktop at home today.
>
> But if you define it as an X86 machine, or a X64 machine, regardless of
> form factor, then it will probably be a lot longer.
>
> I mean, let me put it this way - is a Microsoft Surface Pro a "PC"?  What
> about the XP phone from a few years back?  If a smartphone runs on an Intel
> Atom chip - is it a smartphone or a PC?
>
> *- Chad W. Smith*
>

> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Stephen Kraus <ub3ratl4sf00 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> PC's death gets forcasted like every other year now.
>> On Nov 5, 2013 11:36 AM, "Tim Youngblood" <timyoungblood at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> All that aside (thanks for saving me the words Chad) the most vital
>>> aspect is that PC sales penetration into homes had flattened out over the
>>> past decade.
>>>
>>> Now here we are with a device that could break through the price issue.
>>> The question is whether it is one of price, or one of culture? I'm voting
>>> the latter.
>>>
>>> Tim

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><