[Chugalug] Don't buy these switches

Phil Sieg phil.sieg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:47:38 UTC 2013

I have had pretty good luck with the trend-net gigabit stuff of late.

A rule of thumb (regarding switches) that was handed to me by an old IT guy is this:

"If you are going to buy consumer level switches but want anything like enterprise level reliability, buy 2x the number of ports you will actually use. If you need an 8 port, buy a 16 and only use 8 ports. This will decrease the number of times that the switch "cramps up" dramatically."

I have been following this advice for several years with good results. Before this I was constantly power cycling netgear switches due to network hiccups, now I power cycle MAYBE once every 6-9 months.

Phil Sieg
President
SeniorTech LLC / snapfōn®
www.snapfon.com
phil.sieg at seniortechllc.com

Phone: 423.535.9968
Fax: 423.265.9820
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011