[Chugalug] OT: HDTVs

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 01:48:03 UTC 2013

I have a Samsung 40" 6000-series HDTV. 120Hz, LED-LCD. No problems so far.

Two words of advice:

1. Skip the "smart TV" stuff unless you don't plan to hook anything up to
it. I have Samsung's SmartHub in my BluRay player. It sucks compared to my
Roku. And I can replace the Roku any time. I expect the TV to last a while.

2. Don't buy too big of a TV. I debated about the 46" and 50", especially
since the 50" wasn't much more than the 40". But unless you want your
living room to feel like "this is the church of the one-eyed brain sucker",
you probably don't want a huge TV.

And on the 120Hz thing... At about 24 frames per second (24 hz), the human
brain blends the frames together... that is, you can't perceive much beyond
24Hz. That's commonly rounded up to 30Hz because the brain can lose the
illusion if you don't view straight-on. 60Hz was handy for interlaced
video. That way the entire frame is refreshed 30 frames per second.
Anything about 60Hz is gimmicky, emulated or otherwise.

-Eric