[Chugalug] Recording from TV tuner card under Linux

Robert A. Kelly III bluethegrappler at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 19:06:51 UTC 2013

On 03/22/2013 08:26 AM, Ed King wrote:
> My home surveillance (well, part of it) is a PVR-150 on Kubuntu and a
> CCT camera from Hazard Fraught.  Never could get zoneminder to work
> worth a damn so I rolled my own.

Tell me a little more about how that works. I read that there should be
several useful device nodes like /dev/video<n> and /dev/dvb/<x>, but I
have only /dev/video0 for my webcam. I see the saa7164 module loaded, so
I think the kernel is recognizing my tuner card. It has a composite
video input which I want to use for this particular project. For
something this simple I wondered if I could just use webcam software
like cheese, but since I don't see a video device for the tuner card I'm
not sure how I would set this up. I also played with setting up mythtv,
which seems like a more full-featured solution, but the setup is fairly
complex and it doesn't seem to detect my tuner card. Any suggestions?