[Chugalug] OT: Linked-In

Mike Robinson miker at sundialservices.com
Mon Mar 18 17:36:04 UTC 2013

LinkedIn is something that I put as a fairly obligatory piece of my signature, but I didn't pay any money for it, and wouldn't, and I turn-down every connection request as they come in.  Social networking is not a source of a professional reference or a true business contact .. which is a relationship that must be carefully nurtured.  True business contacts, true references and so on, are very much a matter of trust, and so are not a thing to be blabbed to the universe, no matter how easy such blabbing might have become.

I'd offer this analogy:  the decision to hire someone is a $100,000+ decision; the decision to do business together can be millions and years.  On what do you, should you, actually base such a decision?  Would you "trivialize" that decision?  Would the mere ease of gaining access to (unverifiable) information prompt you to trust it?  "Skeptics live longer."

Mike Robinson
Technical Director
Sundial Services International, LLC
miker at sundialservices.com