[Chugalug] OT: Linked-In

Mike Robinson miker at sundialservices.com
Mon Mar 18 17:36:04 UTC 2013

LinkedIn is something that I put as a fairly obligatory piece of my signature, but I didn't pay any money for it, and wouldn't, and I turn-down every connection request as they come in.  Social networking is not a source of a professional reference or a true business contact .. which is a relationship that must be carefully nurtured.  True business contacts, true references and so on, are very much a matter of trust, and so are not a thing to be blabbed to the universe, no matter how easy such blabbing might have become.

I'd offer this analogy:  the decision to hire someone is a $100,000+ decision; the decision to do business together can be millions and years.  On what do you, should you, actually base such a decision?  Would you "trivialize" that decision?  Would the mere ease of gaining access to (unverifiable) information prompt you to trust it?  "Skeptics live longer."

---------
Mike Robinson
Technical Director
Sundial Services International, LLC