[Chugalug] So google reader is going by by

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri Mar 15 17:55:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Rod-Lists <rod-lists at epbfi.com> wrote:
> Will this hurt RSS?

Maybe. It might actually help RSS, because it'll allow for diversity
in RSS readers again. The third party readers are having to raise
prices to slow down new subscriptions, and I'm hearing rumblings from
various people I know who have dormant aggregators lying in source
control repos waiting for the 2nd coming of RSS.

> Is google trying to drive people to google plus?

Absolutely. This is the result of some internal wrangling wherein that
ex-Microsoft guy who's driving G+ won and the Google Reader folks
lost.

There has got to be an amazing amount of incredible data stored away
in Google Reader's logs, and if they couldn't figure out how to
monetize it it's only because the "Like"/"+"/"Favorite"-ness would
have to be inferred. But even at that it's hard to believe that they'd
give up that data stream for G+.

Dan