[Chugalug] OT: Favorite SAN vendor?

Reed Gregory reed.gregory at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:31:09 UTC 2013

At UTC we are just about to release a RFQ for a new EMC VNX5300
conservatively specced in the 45,000 IOPS range.  I have been researching
and evaluating different people in the market over the last several months.
 We chose EMC because we have had really good experience with them in the
past.  One vendor I would for sure avoid is Dell/Compellent. Being a Dell
shop for now, we "experimented" with a compellent and it has not been a
very good trial.

We are heavy FC, so I can't speak to the FCoE or iscsi parts.

3Par was very interesting but I was a little reluctant to the major change
when EMC has been good to us and as a educational institute we get crazy
discounts off list prices.  We are a small crew and major vendor changes
can be rough.  If you are interested I know some good people that do 3Par
stuff that would be happy to talk with anyone.

Reed

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Aaron welch <n2nightfall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm... both of those are spendy.  I am not sure I could say that EMC would
> cost more than 3PAR, especially not for a hospital.
>
> -AW
>

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Mike Smith <mikeosmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 3PAR is fantastic!
>> EMC is spendy.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike Smith
>> (423) 650-4417
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Lynn Dixon <boodaddy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I would recommend EMC or NetApp.  We have a mixture of EMC tech... EMC
>>> VMAX2, Symmetrix, Connectrix, VNX... blah blah blah.... and its been REALLY
>>> good to us.
>>> NetApp does have some really good stuff as well.

> Aaron Welch
> Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
> 423-505-9999
> n2nightfall at gmail.com
> "Enabling people to do great things with their own ideas."

Reed Gregory
reed.gregory at gmail.com