[Chugalug] Harvard learns from Chattanooga open source librarian Griffey

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 02:35:40 UTC 2013

Yes a buy it now button with a device that is ready to go out of the box.
 The router and the USB stick with all the software on it you need
(OpenWRT, PirateBox, & LibraryBox - latest compatible versions) installed.

Just throwing numbers out there, (based on your numbers from the Equipment
Needed page)... I'd say $75 for a one with 8GB, $95 for 32 GB plus another
$10 ~ $15 for shipping.  Include at least a postcard "QuickStart" guide
and/or a small printed manual.  Of course, it would all be in your 3D
printable container.

You could also just sell the pre-flashed router, and/or the USB drives with
the software on them.

Also - a question.  How does one put the files to be shared on the drive?
 Do you have to take the drive out of the router and stick it into your
computer? Or can files be added remotely?  I can see pros and cons to both.
 Biggest con to remotely adding would be that there's no authentication by
design (as I understand it) so students could upload things that the school
doesn't want them sharing (pirated stuff, test answers, fake class notes,
pron, drawings of the teacher with devil horns and a Hitler 'stache.)

I could see this being used in classrooms where the teacher puts the
assignments / reading lists / syllabus / notes on the drive before class
and the students grab it during the lesson.

*- Chad W. Smith*