[Chugalug] Thirty years in programming, looking for something to do

Mike Robinson miker at sundialservices.com
Mon Mar 11 21:02:34 UTC 2013

"Most" programming languages ... Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, Java.  Usually the deal is that there's already some existing application out there, it's in serious trouble (perhaps abandoned in favor of greener climes), and the task is to drop in and do it, always landing "four paws down."  There's been some stranger stuff ... Prolog, R.  Never a shortage in this world of half-finished stuff that's been left high and dry.

Can programming-languages be a hobby?  I think so.  I'm always poking around sites learning about new ones.  I've even written a few.  It's really interesting to me, to see how programming languages work and to see them as a power-tool for a particular class of problem.  There's a really challenging Terracache in this area (I think it's still alive) which at its various puzzle stages included both a very large Sudoku puzzle and a logic-problem ("The man with the blue tie is not standing up") with twenty-odd stages.  GNU Prolog not only solved both problems but, geek that I am, showed that one of the clues in the logic problem was not required to solve the problem.

Hobby or not, everyone starting on a new project picks their favorite and everybody's got a different favorite.  So, when they waltz on to the next gig and you're the one following 'em, you dance with the one that brung ya.

---------
Mike Robinson
Technical Director
Sundial Services International, LLC