[Chugalug] Curl and client SSL certs

Stephen Haywood stephen at averagesecurityguy.info
Wed Mar 6 19:58:34 UTC 2013

I am trying to access a web site with a client side cert using the Curl
command, curl --cert test.crt --key test.key https://someweb.site. Curl
returns this error message: curl: (58) unable to use client certificate (no
key found or wrong pass phrase?). I have verified that the cert and key go
together using openssl x509 -noout -modulus -in test.crt | openssl md5
and openssl
rsa -noout -modulus -in test.key | openssl md5, which both return the same
MD5 sum. I have also verified the key does not have a passphrase using openssl
rsa -in test.key -out test_nopw.key, which did not request a password. Any
thoughts on what may be happening? Am I missing something obvious?

--
Stephen Haywood
Information Security Consultant