[Chugalug] Working for Facebook ...

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jun 26 22:14:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Dan Lyke wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM, DaWorm <daworm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't imagine just what sort of "possibilities" you are talking about.
>
> Ask Mike about how going to Burning Man changed his life perspectives.

It didn't "change" them, it reverted them to where they were a long long
time ago to where they should be and saved my life and sanity in the process.
Meeting the people I've met in both Burning Man and the Left Coast on
visits is a mind altering reality check. Thanks Dan.

And in case you are wondering.. the "me" most of you see is just one facet
/ persona.... Culturally in many ways, I probably belong in So Cal.. or
another planet.

I almost moved from Chattanooga in 2003. Had the reasons to, the money to
and the urge. A handful of dear friends made me flip a coin and stick
here. Clem's dead, Princess Pam, Just Jen and Ann are elsewhere... Shane
(ranger 'Bama) is travelling the world or working for Burning Man as DPW
and more.. Ronnie just visited from Asheville... new local friends like
"WinterSun" and "Leather" are accumulating.

I'm now tied to Chattanooga via Nancy and her kids.. but that is fading
(not Nancy, but needing to be near the kids is) and a job/business
interest. With the dev and production business servers in colocation, the
business and people involved in it could be anywhere. Nancy and I
constantly consider moving into an RV (with Sat uplink and long range Wifi
antennas plus GPRS ) and working from there.

I'm currently travelling a lot.. I've been chatty this week because I'm in
town... and Chattanooga really is a nice place to live, I just don't try
to make a living here any more. Business is elsewhere. They don't care
where I am either as long as I have a decent 'net connection and I can be
up and conversant in their time zone. If you can work and be conversant
and integrated via the 'web.. you can be anywhere. Add the mobility to
travel to meet people and work with them when you need to... and it's a
winning combination.

It does take a special set of skills to be physically apart and stay
connected and in sync, but it's not THAT hard.

Right now, my life in Chattanooga is pretty good. Cheap nice place
to come home to. Wish the airport hops were more reliable or there was a
high speed train to Atlanta airport. Megabus and Groom Shuttle help...
and the panhandlers would go away.. That's my biggest complaints.