[Chugalug] gee, how noble of them to share the data

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Wed Jun 26 22:10:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
> "...more than $400 billion dollars of federal funding each year are spent on
> infrastructure and services."
[snip]
> btw; I did the math: 400 billion divided into 313 million is $1277 per head.
> That's less than I pay every month. WTF! Where is my money going!

So I dunno where your taxes are, but I know that income taxes are
progressive, and have a rough idea of what percentile my household
income is. So every time I see one of those "per head" numbers, my
share is about an order of magnitude higher than the simple
divide-spending-by-population, and... yeah, that's probably about
right.

But the rest isn't going to infrastructure and services. In fact, much
of the rest has gone to destroying infrastructure and services, but
it's in other countries where we don't run a census, so that's okay.

The bad news is that much of that is going in to "subsidizing
infrastructure" which really means "building roads to move sales tax
dollars out of your jurisdiction and into the neighboring county
that's paid Wal*Mart to move there", ie: subsidizing the Waltons. And
subsidizing sprawl and the automobile.

Dan