[Chugalug] gee, how noble of them to share the data

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jun 26 21:47:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013, Ed King wrote:

> http://fcw.com/articles/2013/06/25/census-open-source.aspx
>
> I'm all for openness in government but I don't like the way the census tries to bully information out of citizens by
> threatening them with fines if they don't fill out that bullshit "Community Survey" thats been going around  (I've got 2 of
> them at home, unopened, and they'll stay that way)

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/about_the_survey/questions_and_why_we_ask/

"You are legally obligated to answer all the questions, as accurately
as you can. The relevant laws are Title 18 U.S.C Section 3571 and Section
3559, which amends Title 13 U.S.C. Section 221."

Accuracy is subjective.

Answer in ways where the accuracy fudge factor might affect:

"...more than $400 billion dollars of federal funding each year are spent
on infrastructure and services."

This actually is a place where your participating can have a direct
and positive effect on your neighborhood some time in the future.

btw;
I did the math: 400 billion divided into 313 million is $1277 per head.
That's less than I pay every month. WTF! Where is my money going!