[Chugalug] Caly-fornee is the place ya oughta be ...

Mike Robinson miker at sundialservices.com
Wed Jun 26 19:40:22 UTC 2013

And, by Jove, I moved =myself= to the same place .. ahh .. in the late 80's.  (Soon enough to actually see the Cali Brothers' feed store being dismantled in favor of a new Apple building in Cupertino, and to see orchard trees on the Hewlett-Packard campus along the Saratoga-Sunnyvale Road.  It is ==absolutely== a nice place to live.  Don't pass judgment until at least the three-year mark or the next major earthquake, whichever comes first.  :-D

Nevertheless ... before you decide to follow the advice that Jed Clampett took ("Beverly Hillbillies"), do keep in mind that nearly every company, including "Chattanooga" software firms that are well-known to Chugalug, actually have subsidiaries and working-groups in many different parts of the country and of the world.  The =work= is extremely location-independent now, and only likely to become more so.

You can get Young People to pack-up and move on a dime; Old Farts are harder.  ;-)  Office space rent is between 6 and 25 times higher than good ol' Chatt-town, and let's not even discuss the cost of cubicles.  Silicon Valley companies have wholesale embraced the concept of a "company-town campus" that is a true Hotel California:  "you can clock-out any time you like, but you can nev-er leave..."  (Have another "free" cappucino, and tell your spouse, while you still have one, that you'll be working late once again.)