[Chugalug] Working for Facebook ...

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 18:00:15 UTC 2013

Just interviewing with Facebook would be a valuable experience in itself. I
interviewed with Microsoft in 1998 which taught me a lot about myself and
my career.

As for stress, cost of living, etc., I wouldn't worry until you actually
get an offer. Then decide... Something I told my daughter when she was
unsure about moving to NYC which applies to SFO as well: lots of people
live there, quite happily. It is possible. My daughter works as a nanny and
is managing quite well in the Big Apple.

I remember when Dan first got the offer from Pixar. He was concerned about
all the usual stuff: big city, high cost, no friends, etc., etc. I reminded
Dan that one of the first non-work things we did was him showing my Pixar's
tapes (VHS FTW!). This is what we do. That's where it's done.

I planned to follow Dan but never made it that far. I spent another decade
in Chattanooga. Dan kept pointing out that while the cost of living is
generally higher, salaries are higher too and there are some things (like
funding your 401K or buying a car) that cost the same. And I have visited
several times. One of the things that struck me was that the Sunday Hikes I
would always try to attend with Dan were the best networking opportunities
I've ever had in my life. I understood how geography matters even in an
industry that prides itself on virtualization. Every industry has it's Rome
and every other city is but a shadow. Government: DC, Finance: NYC, Movies:
Hollywood.

As for the immigration issue... the only place I've run into it as a real
issue was BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee. I was "Web Architect" back in
the day. ALL of our programmers (but no project managers or "architects")
were on work visas sponsored by BCBST. I was told that HR had to create a
new category of "programmer" in order to pay them as little as they did. I
was also told directly that BCBST never had to worry about these
programmers leaving their job because they couldn't. It's one of the
reasons I left BCBST (there were many) and I won't work for another company
that uses immigrant workers in place of Americans purely to save money
because part of that equation is the indentured servitude imposed on those
workers. It's really funny to step outside of the Southeast and see how the
rest of the world operates.   In the Bay Area, the way to making the most
money is building "The Next Big Thing" not trying to trim overhead through
indentured servants. The company I work for, SolidFire, has several
engineers on work visas but I can tell you they didn't take jobs away from
Americans. If even a comparable American had applied, they both would have
been hired.

-Eric