[Chugalug] Working for Facebook ...

Mike Robinson miker at sundialservices.com
Wed Jun 26 14:48:30 UTC 2013

Not to rain on your parade, Jon, if you "just want to move to California for a while" (as I did, once) ... but there are a few things to seriously consider:

(a)  Silicon Valley is one of the most expensive places in the world to live, and getting more so all the time.  You could easily pay $3,000 a month for a one-bedroom apartment in Cupertino or northwards.  You will never, ever, be able to own a home.  Examine cost-of-living extremely carefully.  THAT BEING SAID, I do not by any means regret my years where "THE City By The Bay" was an hour's drive north on the 280, and the -original- "Infinite Loop" (now just known as "Bandy-3") was a few blocks away.  I do not regret it, but I would not do it again.

(b)  You will be one among many thousands of applicants for these prestigious brand-name jobs.  You will be obliged to work extraordinary hours, knowing that if you don't, it's very easy to replace you.

(c)  Especially if the current "Immigration Bill" passes as expected, you could be dealing with a "false interview" anyway.  The law says that you must -recruit- Americans First, but not that you must -hire- them.  In Nashville, I personally saw 17 people (all of Indian descent) walk out of -one- apartment (I glimpsed sleeping-bags inside), get onto a private-bus and be driven away to somewhere.  For many weeks, that bus was a regular fixture at the place.  Very similar things happen in the Valley.  It should not be that way, but you need to be aware that it is.

Fact is, I think that =Chattanooga= just happens to be one of the hottest growing "high tech towns" in America.  It seems somewhat strange for me to say that, since I "got out of town as quick as I could" (moving, uhh, to Silicon Valley until the Loma Prieta earthquake prompted me to move on), but I think it's true.