[Chugalug] Satcom

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jun 26 11:51:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Aaron Welch wrote:
> Decrease latency?  I have seen packet aggregators that can increase throughput, but latency is a bitch to deal with
> over wireless links.   On a different note, we were pulling 10mbit down and 512kbit up in the middle of the ocean with
> Hughes satellite data service.  Had 200-300ms ping times, but that is awesome when you have nothing and are miles
> offshore.

It's a packet accelerator, like a particle accelerator, you send them
around and around while speeding them up.... coil 500ft of Cat6e around a
large induction motor. Do it just right, you'll see the same thing. The
packets will fail to get responded to because they are moving so fast the other
side can't see them.

Ok, I'm just kidding. But I can see where compression, priority  and good
bandwidth management reduce apparent latency.

Steven, I gotta know one thing:  Was the phone RED ?

Fun off-topic digression, unless you can tell us is if much *nix being
used? I assume there are BSD and Linux variants in little black boxes
doing specific things, routers, etc..

--Mike--