[Chugalug] Satcom

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Jun 26 00:46:12 UTC 2013

> Slightly off topic, but the SATCOM stuff the Air Force has is amazing.

Steven,
What can you link to or share without fear of giving away national
secrets, impuning the NSA.. etc..

I'm interested in many ways... for example, I know we have a utility in W.
Africa using Sat coms to use Juice and are impressed with how it works in
a high latency environment. I know they are on 64k links with 150ms to
300ms round trips.

>From memory:
64k might be expressed as one half an ISDN connection,
ISDN is 2 B's (64k each) and a D or lower rate data/signalling channel.
Multiple B's (64k) can be bonded together for aggregate bandwidth
with that D (data) channel providing sync and bonding info.

I can see where that same structure could be used for any communications
medium, just kind of suprised that it is. I'd like to know what the useful
typical limits are in the military variations.