[Chugalug] tv capture on esxi host

Matt Keys mk6032 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 9 22:52:35 UTC 2013

I have successfully captured and streamed HDTV to my xbox 360s using
windows media center. No big deal but this was using a ESXi 5.1 host,
windows 8 64 bit guest vm, and a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-950Q (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116034)
attached to the USB of the ESXi host. The xbox 360s are connected via
wifi too and the playback is really smooth. There's a bit of slowness
changing channels... it takes about 5-10 seconds each. Getting the vm to
use the device was also bit strange. You have to install just the
drivers and not the WinTV application. When I installed the wintv
application with it I got a lot of conflicts with the virtual usb
controller.