[Chugalug] BAD GOOGLE! google drops xmmp

Robert A. Kelly III bluethegrappler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 20:57:40 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 05:02:39 PM Rod-Lists wrote:
> Found this.
> "Practically speaking, what Google's change means is that Google Hangouts
> users will still be able to have IM chats with users on XMPP services such
> as Jabber, the Free Software Foundation, and Openfire servers, and
> vice-versa. In addition, users of third-party IM clients, such as Pidgin,
> Trillian, and Microsoft's Outlook.com will also continue to be able to IM
> with Google Hangout users.
>
> What independent XMPP server users and IM client users won't be able to do
> is use Google Hangout's additional services such as VoIP,
> video-conferencing, or have multiple participants in an IM session. If you
> want those, you'll need to use Google's Hangouts apps or the Google
> Web-based Hangouts client."
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/google-moves-away-from-the-xmpp-open-messaging-standar
> d-7000015918/

I'm a little confused here. EFF's explanation seems to be saying that Google
users will still be able to connect with third-party clients, but they will
*not* be able to have IM chats with users on other XMPP services like Jabber,
FSF, Openfire, etc.

<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/05/google-abandons-open-standards-instant-
messaging>

But from my understanding you can still interoperate by XMPP as long as you
continue to use Talk instead of Hangouts. I think when you swap from Talk to
Hangouts, you lose all of your XMPP contacts. Currently, you can choose
between Talk and Hangouts within Gmail. Google says that Google Talk will be
supported for the forseeable future, but intends to eventually replace it with
Hangouts.