[Chugalug] OT: RJ45 to Wi-Fi adapter

Alex Smith (K4RNT) shadowhunter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 13:05:50 UTC 2013

Hey, that's no problem - always a pleasure to help someone out.

My setup is a Cat6 from our Verizon FIOS router to the den, and I have a
5-port Netgear gigabit switch connected at that point, where I've hooked up
my landlord's Roku device, my housemate's Blu-Ray player, housemate's Onkyo
AV receiver, as well as an extra line available for my occasional projects
- I'm trying to learn about the Raspberry Pi I ordered a couple months, and
out here is where I usually test it out.

The RPi looks like a great little device, even just if it's for occasional
use or for embedded development.

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 7:54 AM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  On 06/02/2013 04:49 AM, Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
>
> Other options I can think of, in no particular order:
>
>  1) Wi-FI network bridge (a router with DD-WRT installed acting as a
> "client bridge" mode)
> 2) Buy a sufficienty long CAT6 Ethernet cable
> 3) Buy a network switch and then follow #2
> 4) Buy a Wi-Fi network adapter
>
>  Also do check to see your Blu-Ray player supports Wi-Fi - it might have
> that capability.
>
>  A great resource you may want to look into is VideoHelp.com, a really
> good site with instructions, technical documentation, etc.
>
>  However, my favorite features on the site include how-to guides for
> doing a repair work yourself, as well a database of players and recorders,
> with detailed information, varying from model to model, what video and
> audio formats they support, etc.
>
>  They also have unlock codes for many years, some models may have it,
> some might not.
>
>  www.videohelp.com
>
>  Hope this helps.
>

>  Duh! Silly me... it appears that it has Wi-Fi built-in. I may still get
> a Roku, but we'll have to see how this works. May need a new router and
> will probably need to upgrade my DSL account. :D

episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith (K4RNT)