[Chugalug] Who's looking for embedded programmers in 'nooga?

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Mon Jan 28 19:31:44 UTC 2013

Ah...
TCAS equipment is available to just about any aircraft with an electrical
system (including gliders) and works off of the discrete transponder
broadcast, which is mandated on aircraft flying on certain classes of
airspace, but not all.

That means that the best TCAS can't pick up any airplane without a mod-C
transponder.  The transponder is also the device that allows the radar to
differentiate you as a target (otherwise you are just a blip) and the
'mod-C' parts broadcast your pressure altitude on 100 feet intervals.

I experienced the TCAS inability to pick up non-transponder aircraft one day
that I was towing a glider from Chilhowee (Benton TN) to Tullahoma.  I was
at about 8500 feet North of Chattanooga and I called approach and notified
them of my location, altitude and heading, because I knew they could not see
me in the radar.  I wanted them to know that I was there because a glider on
tow is a 200 foot aircraft of which you only control one half.  They
acknowledged the transmission and about 2-3 minutes later I heard this
thunderous roar and checked the mirror just to see this regional flying some
few feet behind the tail of the glider.  A nano second later I could hear
the glider pilot screaming (in fear and on a different frequency) if I had
seen the jet.
Boy, had I...

I didn't even mentioned to Chattanooga Approach and the pilots of the jet
didn't see us either, because they didn't say anything.
That was an interesting day...
ET