[Chugalug] Who's looking for embedded programmers in 'nooga?

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 19:23:24 UTC 2013

The FAA has mandated alot of awareness programs in their "NextGen" Airspace
plans.
http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/

More specifically ADS-B technology (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance-broadcast )
allows General Aviation pilots the same access to up-to-the minute
awareness as major airlines at a relatively low cost.  Heck, you can even
use your tablet coupled with a low cost ADS-B GPS/Transponder over
bluetooth to have a very powerful in cockpit situational awareness suite
that includes weather, mapping, traffic, collision avoidance, terrain,
flight planning, NOTAMS, TFR's,  the kitchen sink, etc.

Not to mention, alot of engine monitoring devices can be bought pretty
cheaply (even for the Rotax 912) that allows you to shift your engine
management to your tablet and go in conjunction with your other services.

I give the FAA props for their NextGen program, and allowing some of the
new technologies to be legal to use in a cockpit.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:

> required all trains to have an awareness system similar
>> to what airlines are using.
>>
> Hmmmmmm...
> What 'awareness system' are the airlines using?
> Aware of what?
> Just wondering...
> ET
>

> Lynn Dixon writes:
>
>> Not sure if this is related or not, but when I was at Red Hat Summit this
>> year, there was a speaker from one of the major rail lines.  His company
>> used Red Hat to power their tracking switching and train awareness
>> programs.  There was a mandate by the DOT that required all trains to have
>> an awareness system similar to what airlines are using.  I cant recall
>> 100%, but I was impressed with just how much the rail industry relied on
>> open source.
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM, wes <wes at the-wes.com> wrote:
>>
>>> google says:
>>> http://www.southern-tech.com/
>>>
>>> http://www.stb.dot.gov/ect1/**ecorrespondence.nsf/UNID/**
>>> 0BF566C2B16FA5C1852574890046C8**EF/$file/04059.070908.MENCH.**
>>> BUS.37422.S.N.LTR.PDF<http://www.stb.dot.gov/ect1/ecorrespondence.nsf/UNID/0BF566C2B16FA5C1852574890046C8EF/$file/04059.070908.MENCH.BUS.37422.S.N.LTR.PDF>
>>> http://www.industrynet.com/**listing/1673604/southern-**
>>> technologies-corp<http://www.industrynet.com/listing/1673604/southern-technologies-corp>