[Chugalug] NAPTR

Dave Brockman dave at brockmans.com
Wed Jan 23 15:21:38 UTC 2013

On 1/23/2013 1:11 AM, Matt Keys wrote:
> DNS/VoIP gurus -- If a DNS provider supports SIP SRV records, but
> doesn't support NAPTR records, would SIP service be affected by a lack
> of the missing NAPTR records? E.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAPTR_record#Example

What type of "SIP service"?

> According to rfc 2915 ... "In the case of NAPTR, the actual domain-name
> is specified by the various fields in the NAPTR record. In this case the
> client isn't asking a question but is instead attempting to get at
> information that it has been told exists in an SRV record at that
> particular domain-name."

The wikipedia page I thought explained the lookup flow from a SIP client
PoV.  Client does a (reverse) lookup in the e164.arpa zone to basically
obtain a domain that the client then sends another NAPTR query,
ultimately looking for a SRV record.

> So it all depends on what URI the client is presented with in the first
> place? In other words tel:+14235551212 isn't the same as sip:+14235551212?

Is the latter valid?

Regards,

dtb

network."  RFC 1925