[Chugalug] 1 TB+ hard drive

Jim Wells jwells at networksonline.net
Wed Jan 23 00:42:09 UTC 2013

On 1/22/2013 6:11 AM, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sun January 20 2013 7:56:05 PM Billy wrote:
>> To be fair to John, I think he was looking for recommendations of particular
>> vendors are caveats regarding certain drives.
>>
>> Granted, he could have shown us his list of narrowed down devices and his own
>> internal dialog regarding the pros and cons. Sometimes, after you've done
>> the research, you still have gnawing questions and conflicting tech specs.
>>
> To be honest, I haven't kept up with the pros/cons of various HDD
> manufacturers. I know awhile back Samsung was really great, but then they had
> the whole batch of drives that went bad prematurely. WD and Seagate used to be
> great, but now WD has about three or four lines of drives. I haven't bought a
> hard drive in so long, it's sad! I just don't keep up with hardware the way
> you guys do.
>
> I've been having problems getting my email. I think I've finally tracked it
> down to Yahoo & SpamCop not playing well. In that time period I emailed Aaron
> directly and he replied back that ANY Seagate or the WD Black or WD Red would
> be good. That's the sort of thing I needed.

> .

John Western Digital and Seagate make the majority of ALL the drives
these days they have bought out almost all other HDD vendors if not all
of them at this point. I see similar failure rates with both brands. The
WD black series are fast drives. Don't get the Seagate green drives.
Seagate has the desktop series and the Enterprise series for servers
with a higher MTBF rating and they cost a little more than the desktop
drives I prefer them for raids and servers. I like Seagate personally
but this subject can and may start a holy war thread !

HTH

Jim