[Chugalug] Bye bye N900, thanks for all the fish..

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Jan 22 22:56:45 UTC 2013

I mised a couple of important calls this last Saturday morning as my N900
finally melted down... Not sure what went... or why, but rebooting on a
fresh battery did not help, I really think the radio just freaked out.

Out of frustration and perceived need as well as just time for a new
phone. Bought a Samsung Note II outright.

Wow.. after a couple of days with it, I'm mostly impressed.
I comprimised and setup a personal gmail account (mike.geeklabs at gm....)
so some things worked like they intended (google Play, etc.. )
got it linked to my WebDav share's.. (WTF?!? No USB file system
support for Linux?!?) and a few other things.

Some part of me realizes that my life is now a part of Google's version of
the Truman Show... now everything is recorded, linked, tied, associated..
etc... and when a recently deceased friend's google account added me to
his circles (some ghost in the machine?) I was reminded how automated and
farsicle the entire social networking world really has become.

So it's really really kewl.. but somehow I just don't find myself trusting
it the way I trusted my N900. Too many things happening behind the screen.
As I sniff my home WiFi.. it chatters and calls home a lot, but at least
as not much as Nancy's iPhone.. and much more than my Mac and Linux
laptops.

The number of the beast has arrived, mine is 423-605-6943 and I pay for
the honor of having it.