[Chugalug] Embedded Linux Training

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri Jan 18 00:12:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:58:38 -0500
DaWorm <daworm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a course, either brick and mortar in the
> Chattanooga area, or online, that covers setting up a system with
> embedded Linux?

Been there, done that...

> I'm looking for something that covers the build system,

A lot of this depends on what architecture you're using. The various
different chip makers have funded click-and-go build systems like
Buildroot for Atmel chips that take care of creating the entire build
environment.

And for others with more community support, there are just packages you
can apt-get.

> distro
> choices (if any), device driver development, system startup tasks,
> display/graphics issues, application startup, security, debugging and
> the like.  Something that uses a Arm based dev board, such as a
> BeagleBoard, would be best.

It has been two years, but my guess is that for boards like that (and
I'll get a chance to verify this with a Pi in a couple of days) you
don't have to worry about drivers unless you want to.

As far as system startup, the kernel runs /sbin/init (or whatever
you've compiled it to run or passed through in the kernel args), which
on modern embedded distributions is BusyBox based. BusyBox behaves an
awful lot like a lighter weight version of what you're used to, but I
was amazed at how much USB and SD stuff just worked (and for the stuff
that didn't, usually it was a matter of finding the right module name
to give to "modprobe").

After that, debugging is GDB, security is what you make of
it, /dev/framebuffer will often do what you want or you can put X or
use SDL.

As I said, I'm a few days out from my Raspberry Pi boards arriving, but
I'm told they run a stripped down Debian, so at that point they may as
well be a desktop machine. Does your projected number of deployed
devices warrant the engineering costs over and above just using the
Raspberry?

Dan