[Chugalug] cloud

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:25:08 UTC 2013

I don't have experience with CenturyLink/Savvis, but one Cloud-caveat I've
encountered is if you have an application that demands disk performance,
you have to work really hard to get what you need in the cloud. For
instance, one client had a big SQL query with two joins that was nearly
instantaneous on my local machine but took 6+ minutes on Amazon EBS (even
with provisioned IO). The answer was to move the database to ephemeral
storage (usually physical, instance attached storage) and put more effort
into optimizing the database. I've been told that RAIDing EBS volumes helps
but I skipped over that step.

>From a sysadmin position, there's a trade off in going "cloudy". You lose a
lot of control but you gain some freedom. And backups (in the form of
snapshots) are super easy.

-Eric