[Chugalug] Lawrence Lessig on Aaron Swartz's suicide

James Nylen jnylen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 06:37:03 UTC 2013

Lawrence Lessig, co-founder of Creative Commons and important figure in the
FSF, EFF, etc., had this to say about the suicide of Aaron Swartz,
co-author of an early RSS spec and founder of a precursor to Reddit:

Remember, we live in a world where the architects of the financial crisis
regularly dine at the White House - and where even those brought to
"justice" never even have to admit any wrongdoing, let alone be labeled
"felons."

In that world, the question this government needs to answer is why it was
so necessary that Aaron Swartz be labeled a "felon" [for plotting to
distribute millions of JSTOR articles].

Fifty years in jail, charges our government. Somehow, we need to get beyond
the “I’m right so I’m right to nuke you” ethics that dominates our time.
That begins with one word: Shame.

Full article:  http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/40347463044/prosecutor-as-bully .
 Another good article:
http://www.thenation.com/blog/172187/aaron-swartz<http://www.thenation.com/blog/172187/aaron-swartz#>

Our society should be selecting for the Aaron Swartz’s of this world.
Instead, generous and ethical behavior, especially when combined with
technical brilliance, turns out to be maladaptive, indeed lethal. If Swartz
had been Wall Street’s youngest investment banker, he would be alive today.