[Chugalug] Help building ancient app...

DaWorm daworm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:55:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Worm, if you really are giving up, I did a quick Google search and found
> this site which lists a number of Linux-based "CAD" apps. Maybe one of them
> will work for you - http://www.linuxlinks.com/**Software/Graphics/CAD/<http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Graphics/CAD/>
>
> Yes, I've been there.  I've tried a few of them, such as Wings3D, but the
learning curve is fairly steep for what I'm wanting to do.  This was
supposed to be something to save me time by allowing me to lay out a
project in advance, not something that I needed to take three months to
learn how to use.  I liked that this software concentrated on woodworking
and took assembly into account (there are a lot of things that you can
model that you could never build).

For right now, I'm concentrating on only one project, building a bar.  I've
bought two gorgeous turn of the (last) century heart pine five panel doors
that will form the front and sides, and I plan to use vintage newel posts
(not yet purchased) for the corners.  I also need to build a base with a
footrest and the bar top itself.  I don't want to buy too much material,
and obviously with vintage parts like this, I can't afford to screw up.  I
could do it all by hand of course, but being a geek, I thought there had to
be a "better way".

Jeff.