[Chugalug] Amazon's Top Selling Laptop runs Linux*^~† (actually it's...)

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:12:25 UTC 2013

It's a Chromebook.

http://www.zdnet.com/amazons-top-selling-laptop-doesnt-run-windows-or-mac-os-it-runs-linux-7000009433/

Of course, ChromeOS is built on top of Linux.  And "best selling laptop"
only refers to a given specific model - not overall Windows computers or
Macs...  And there are very few Chromebooks to choose from...  Also Amazon
is one of the few places online actually selling Chromebooks, as opposed to
the number of places to get a Windows machine or a Mac.

But still.  Can be used as some sort of "victory" for Linux, I guess.  Just
take the "implications of this!" with a heaping spoonful of salt.

I don't even know if Linux wants to claim ChromeOS.

A few years back I remember people suing the crap out of a certain
operating system provider for bundling a browser with their OS.  And now
the OS is the browser? I don't like it.

*- Chad W. Smith*