[Chugalug] OT: cool new (old used) Kit

Phil Sieg phil.sieg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 02:12:26 UTC 2013

I was perusing ebay to check out values of some geekery I need to sell
and stumbled across something else that i don't need, so of course I did
the right thing and bought it.

Waaaayyyyy back in 2008 when the MacBook Air was the coolest thing ever,
Nokia made a horrendously expensive Netbook carved out of a block of
Aluminium. It looks like a tiny Macbook pro and  has built in 3g through
a SIM card slot, and 12 hours of battery life. It also is a fairly pokey
Atom Z530 processor, gma 500 graphics, a 1.8" 4200 rpm sata drive that
is SLLLOOOOOOWWWW, and worst of all 1GB of ram that is soldered to the
mobo with ZERO upgrade possibility.

The good news is it plays well out of the box with all 12.10 based
flavors (typing this in Xubuntu). It is fairly snappy and certainly
quite usable. I ordered a 1.8 SSD off ebay for cheap and hope that it
will speed things up just enough to where this is a pleasant experience
rather than a bearable one. The battery life is absolutely out of this
world. Next stop is Lubuntu which is supposed to be the lightest weight
of all of the 'buntu's.

For the final price this may be one of my best finds yet, and it is
VERRRYYYY Pretty.

Just passin it on cause they are goin way cheap on the 'bay.  Search
Nokia Booklet 3g.

Happy New Year!!!!

Phil