[Chugalug] Easy linux images for CompactFlash and x86/Via Epia embedded devices?

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri Jan 4 17:02:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM, DaWorm <daworm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, gotcha.  Like I said, I used a USB to IDE adapter and external brick
> I'm really bad about hanging on to stuff like this.  Got way too many PII's
> and even a 386SX laptop lying around.  Need a spring cleaning badly, but I
> always seem to have spare parts when anything odd like this comes up.

Yeah, I also realized that what sent me down the "My doorbell can run
Linux!" path was that I knew I could run a Linux machine + switching
power supply that drew less than the 3 watts(!) that the doorbell
transformer does, but that the Epia boards are probably 9+ watts at
idle.

Screw that bogus LLNL report about standby power, 3 watts for a button
that gets pressed maybe once a week is worth any number of milliwatt
leakage in the capacitors in iPod chargers doing nothing during the
day.