[Chugalug] Easy linux images for CompactFlash and x86/Via Epia embedded devices?

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Fri Jan 4 15:02:03 UTC 2013

On Thu, 3 Jan 2013 20:22:42 -0500
DaWorm <daworm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not boot the CD for a slim distro directly, and use the install
> procedure to install to the CF card?  The minimal Debian would be
> probably work well enough for that.  I had one of those mini systems
> that didn't have a CD, but I used a USB IDE converter to boot it.

Because the power supply on these devices isn't beefy enough to run a
CD drive, so that turns in to "grab another power supply, hang a CD
drive and this motherboard off it, ...".

And it'd be nice to fit this in < 128meg (yeah, I've got two larger CF
cards lying around, but I use 'em for other things), and I'd still have
to re-target /var/ and /tmp/ on to something else, and...

Which is why I said "screw it, I'm just going to buy 2 Pi boards with
SD cards that have Debian pre-loaded and the only decisions I have to
make are which pull-up resistors to use on the TTL I/O lines".

Dan