[Chugalug] Best PHP DB Abstraction layer?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Feb 27 16:20:12 UTC 2013

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, Jason Brown wrote:

> +1000 for Doctrine:
>
> http://docs.doctrine-project.org/projects/doctrine-orm/en/latest/index.html

Ok. I'll admit that it's first time I've really looked hard at Doctrine.

It's lines like:

..."it provides the access point to the complete lifecycle management of
your entities and transforms entities from and back to persistence"..

and the abstraction of what is really going in their examples like:

  $bugs = $entityManager->getRepository('Bug')->findBy(array('status' => 'CLOSED'));

Which to me is something like:

   "select * from Bug where status = 'CLOSED'"

that makes my head spin and hackles raised. Too abstract for me.

If I were building something big, it might be worth the cognitive load,
but I think PDO might be closer to what I was looking for.

What I have now is similar functions for MySQL and Oracle10/11
I'll see if I can get PDO to talk to the Oracle system..
I'm using OCI now.