[Chugalug] Xen vs KVM vs ESXi

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Thu Feb 21 07:17:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Eric Wolf wrote:
> I'm currently running ESXi at home - a bit of an overkill since I only have one VM on it. I'm setting up a
> new VM server and was wondering if I should try something else. What opinions do y'all have?

I'll give credit to Adam for making me a believer in KVM/Qemu.

My understanding of it is minimal, which means it "just works". The few
times I've needed to do something with it, it's been a bit of a pain to
figure it out, edit the text file or issue the command, but so far, it
always "just works". Servers on it are long term stable, run smooth, and
seem to not have issues like clock slew that I saw in our very limited
playing with vmPlayer. We can even use USB ports for serial communications.