[Chugalug] Xen vs KVM vs ESXi

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 06:18:25 UTC 2013

I am a big KVM fan since its built into the kernel (for a while now, but
cant remember what kernel version it was introduced).  I run all of my VM's
on my laptop using KVM.  I like using virt-manager and virsh to manage the
machines, and then I use Spice as the remote-control and display protocol.
Spice allows you to redirect USB to the guest, and even do on the fly
display resizing of the guest as you resize the window.

I would also recommend oVirt if you are looking for a great web based
console and the ability to manage 1 to many hosts. I use this in my home
lab on an old IBM x3650 as a host.  oVirt is also the upstream for Red
Hat's RHEV product.  Heres the website:  http://www.ovirt.org

oVirt is based on KVM as well. You should give it a go! Its pretty nice,
and the web console is really slick.