[Chugalug] Creating a restore partition

Alex Smith (K4RNT) shadowhunter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:08:03 UTC 2013

I've never set up what you call a "restore partition", I just make a
disc or media of some kind to store the disk image, and use the
utility to restore if and when necessary.

With the commercial Acronis TrueImage software, I make a bootable CD
with Acronis on it, and store the disc image somewhere, whether it's
on a file server, flash drive, DVD or Blu-Ray. If I need to restore, I
boot from the CD, and use the image.

The cloning software you use really shouldn't matter. Most of them can
handle Linux filesystems nicely, so they don't waste unnecessary space
backing up empty space.

Let me know if you'd like some help doing this. Depending on the
software you use, it can be easy to do, but the cloning software can
be really powerful too, some have some really cool features.