[Chugalug] Mediatomb... or better?

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Feb 10 14:31:11 UTC 2013

I'm diving into things I would not normally do at home, at the request of
Princess Nancy and am wondering if ya'll had advice.

Her goal is encoding a big rubber tub of music and audio CD's and making
them available to a player in her office, making the tub go away.

I tried to buy her a Logitech Squeezebox...
but she balked at the price. For now.

So, using what I have laying around I updated a Chumby Classic with Zurks
offline firmware:   http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=7831
which works very well.. impressive. She likes the Chumby because it is
cute, the speaker is good enough for her uses (quite background music).

I'm using a little Asus Atom netbook as a server. I tried using it in
Squeezebox mode, but after burning some time playing with setting up
"logitechmediaserver" (the current version of SqueezeServer) I did an
"apt-get remove --purge logitechmediaserver" It seems to be quite the
kludge with lots of competing documentation.

Following Zurks notes in a Readme file, I installed MediaTomb as a
UPnP/DLNA server on the Netbook. I'm impressed. The Chumby does it well
enough, and enabled a webserver for managing the playlist. It also worked
very well with my Android Samsung Note II (I'm still liking it..) using
"MediaHouse" as an App.

My Asus RT16 has a "minidlna" server in it, but it seems to be picky
about what it talks to. The Chumby can not see files in the folders,
but my phone dos.

I've decided to go down this road and do it well.

So, my question is: Is MediaTomb the best choice for a UPnP/DLNA
server? I see a lot of options.

What are ya'll liking for a UPnP/DLNA server and
what else are you using it for?