[Chugalug] Android musings

Phil Sieg phil.sieg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:19:19 UTC 2013

So.

I have been a full time Android user for one week now. My device is a Galaxy Note 2 (ATT version, rooted and unlocked of course).

I have some observations that of course are from a long time iOS user's perspective.

1. Almost all 56 Android mail clients suck. Aqua Mail sucks less than the rest, but still sucks.
2. Why so goddamned many menu's and choices buried 5 layers deep?
3. The water droplet sound that happens when I swipe my Phone to unlock it is driving me out of my mind. I can't figure out how to shut it up (see item 3).
4 There are NO financial/stock market apps for this thing that are worth a damn. Also see Item 1.
5. The calendar is a POS. Seems to be the same dilemma as item 1.
6. Why do I need an app drawer? iOS definitely got this part right.
7. eBook readers. Also see item 1. Could care less about the kindle app, don't speak to me about it.

On a brighter note:

1. Widgets are cool.
2. I LOVE having a 5.5" screen and a stylus.
3. swappable battery.
4. Micro SD goodness and ease of loading content ;-)

Hmm it seems most of my "brighter" items are actually hardware related and not a plus for Android.

I will stick with Android for the foreseeable future, however it is very LINUX like in the need for constant tweaking and not always working. I love the IDEA of linux and try to implement the use of it in any way that I can, however Cupertino has a distinct advantage with their philosophy that "Shit should just work".

Phil Sieg
President
SeniorTech LLC / snapfōn®
www.snapfon.com
phil.sieg at seniortechllc.com

Phone: 423.535.9968
Fax: 423.265.9820
Mobile: 423.331.0725

"The computer is the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with. It's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011