[Chugalug] OT: Anyone of you guys good with electrical circuits?

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:21:46 UTC 2013

Phil,
That's what I am referring to.  I am not sure how household AC current got
mixed into it.. hehe.

Aviation headsets have two jacks.
the first is a 1/4" for speakers in the headset (my David Clarks are
actually in stereo, most are just mono).  They have a pretty high impedance
when compared to the headphone output of a PC. Some people have had decent
luck just getting a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and turning up the volume on the
mixer panel in the PC.  I would rather have the impedance matched somehow.

The second jack is an odd ball size.  Its a bit smaller than a standard
1/4" jack.  Its right at .205"  this makes it easy to plug your headset
into the proper panel jacks in your airplane.  Each plug only plugs into
its proper jack on the airplane panel.  But, I have bought a couple of the
right mic jacks from Aircraft Spruce in Atlanta.  So, I have the jacks I
need.  However, the mic in most aviation headsets are electret because they
work in loud environments (most GA planes are really noisy).

I have found this in my googling:
http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1985

It has a good schematic for the mic, and how to drive it with a 9V battery.
 But it would be awesome to be able to plug into the Front Panel audio
header on my motherboard and then mount the jacks themselves in a 5.25"
panel on my PC.  the AC'97 headers have a 5v supply and mic in and
headphone out, but I would need to match impedance.

In the schematic, there is a 470 ohm resistor on the 9v battery, but I am
not sure what that would bring the voltage to, I doubt its 5V so that might
eliminate the 5v from the AC97 header.