[Chugalug] OT: Anyone of you guys good with electrical circuits?

Jason Brown lists at masterforge.com
Fri Feb 8 14:32:32 UTC 2013

So you want mains (110v-120v) standard 3 prong electrical outlets in a
5.25" drive bay?

Possible, but might introduce some noise, it also might not.
There is risk involved, but mostly to your computer equipment. If there
is every a short to your case your computer is toast and most likely
every thing in it and attached to it.

Since you have limited electrical knowledge I would recommend this route:

Buy a cord like this one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2407065603P

Get a 5.25" bay and front panel, cut out the shape needed, glue the cord
in flush with a glue of your choice.

Run the cord out the back of your PC somehow.  You might have a cutout
large enough to pass it through.

Install a rubber grommet or other protector around the cord where it
exits the case (Sharp edges, you don't want that cutting into the
extension cord.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DOR3/02365/N0282.oap?ck=Search_grommet_-1_-1&keyword=grommet

Alternately:
If you don't need much power, and want it to only run while the PC is
turned on you could wire in one of these to your 12v Rails:
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-continuous-power-inverter-66972.html (or
similar, keep it small < 100 watts).

Microphone:
Here is some info on wiring electret microphones.
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html#basics
I am sure someone sells an off the shelf version but I don't have the
time to search for it right now.

Good luck, and send us pictures!

--Jason

--Jason