[Chugalug] OT: Anyone of you guys good with electrical circuits?

Jason Brown lists at masterforge.com
Fri Feb 8 14:32:32 UTC 2013

So you want mains (110v-120v) standard 3 prong electrical outlets in a
5.25" drive bay?

Possible, but might introduce some noise, it also might not.
There is risk involved, but mostly to your computer equipment. If there
is every a short to your case your computer is toast and most likely
every thing in it and attached to it.

Since you have limited electrical knowledge I would recommend this route:

Buy a cord like this one:

Get a 5.25" bay and front panel, cut out the shape needed, glue the cord
in flush with a glue of your choice.

Run the cord out the back of your PC somehow.  You might have a cutout
large enough to pass it through.

Install a rubber grommet or other protector around the cord where it
exits the case (Sharp edges, you don't want that cutting into the
extension cord.

If you don't need much power, and want it to only run while the PC is
turned on you could wire in one of these to your 12v Rails:
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-continuous-power-inverter-66972.html (or
similar, keep it small < 100 watts).

Here is some info on wiring electret microphones.
I am sure someone sells an off the shelf version but I don't have the
time to search for it right now.

Good luck, and send us pictures!