[Chugalug] WAY OT - Party Space

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Tue Feb 5 22:41:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Stephen Haywood
<stephen at averagesecurityguy.info> wrote:
> My wife wants to have a valentines party for 30 kids, and I need a place to
> have it. There are a lot of "party" places with gimmick to go along with
> them. I just need a room to decorate and that has tables and chairs. Any
> thoughts?

A couple of generic suggestions from the other coast:

Churches are often willing to rent out rooms. We used the UU church in
San Francisco for a non-denominational (Freudian slip: I first wrote
that as non-demoninational) memorial that was trying to be centrally
located in the Bay Area, had also looked at a Quaker meeting house,
decided on the UU because it better fit the tenor of the life of the
deceased.

Grange halls are built for just this purpose. We use a grange hall for
many 4H meeting purposes, and have shared the space while people were
using the kitchen to set up for parties and whatnot. See also
Masonic/E. Clampus Vitus/Moose/etc lodges.

Sonoma County has a "4H Center" which is a big-ass building run by the
local 4H foundation. It's not cheap to rent, but free for 4H events
and paid for by the rentals, so it goes to a good cause. Maybe there's
something like that around for ya?