[Chugalug] You're invited to Meeting: PHP and MySQL

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Feb 3 01:54:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013, Aric Annear wrote:
> Is this a "pure beginner"-level demo?  I'd like to get a start in PHP/MySQL
> but I'd be starting from square zero here and don't want to hold the meeting
> up with dumb questions unless it's explicitly for noobs.

Pure? Could be reasonably close to that.

I was going to do this tomorrow from scratch and see how it flows.
My intention was to start with nothing more than a text editor
and a command line on a Linux server with the LAMP basics already running
and build up a very basic PHP program, probably a website front end
without much CSS.  < 500 lines of code.. pure PHP and SQL.

The technical goal: put together the < 10 functions and program flow I
think are basics... with the purpose of provoking discussions
about the functions and the thoughts behind them.

The other goal: See if there is any interest in the PHP Users Group
and specifically, if there is someone else whome would want to drive the
train. Jerimie started it, Lisa took over from Jerimie, and somehow it's
withered a bit and I'm left getting notices from meetup.com saying: "Do
something you dolt" or maybe that's just the voices in my head.

You should have a clue what PHP is, and be familiar with basic concepts of
a programming language and SQL and probably HTML for output... although
I've been writing a lot of stuff that does not do HTML out lately. Just
functions for getting crap done with not much output at all.