[Chugalug] Dropbox (and other Python Apps) Reverse-Engineered

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Thu Aug 29 16:55:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:01:38 +0000 (UTC)
Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
> Hmm, hadn't thought of using the scanning electron microscope.
> I do have some gadgets with the important chips epoxied in a bed of
> copper mesh that supposedly fry's the eeprom. Or at least, that is
> what they say.

Yep. I have no way to verify much of this stuff, but determined
attackers will attack determinedly.

To the Android vs iOS reverse engineering portion of this thread: The
big differences of each as a virus target as I see it:

1. I can install apps from third party sources (ie; Amazon
   Marketplace) on my Android. To install anything not from the app
   store on my iOS devices I have to either hand around UDIDs to people
   who've paid Apple for the time-limited ability to write to that, or
   I have to pay Apple $100/year to compile my own code for the device.

2. Apple's qualification process is stricter.

3. Partially due to #1, and partially due to stronger control over
   devices, Apple has a much less complex ecosystem to police. So
   cleaning up the mess is easier.

The problem with open systems is that they require lots of eyeballs and
people understanding the processes. Most people don't. I'm not sure the
openness scales.

(I used to be an iOS user, we have one iOS device left, headed towards
Android)

Dan